Thursday, July 22, 2010

Book of the Month


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society was first published in 2008. WHY THE HECK DID I WAIT TWO YEARS TO READ IT?!?!?!

Actually, I know exactly why: One afternoon I was strolling around Barnes & Noble with my Passion Fruit Tea Lemonade in hand, when this book jumped out at me from its place on the shelf. I flipped it over, read the back, and immediately placed it back on the shelf before quickly scurrying away, and it was two years before I took a chance and read it based on a friend's recommendation.

The problem was that the description on the book's cover doesn't reveal one iota of the book's wit, charm, and depth. It truly does this fantastic book a disservice. In fact, I hesitate to describe this book simply because I think that there is a very good chance that I am going to do it a disservice. However, I feel that that I should at least give you some idea of what its about, so here it is in the broadest strokes:

A single girl living in post-World War II London tries to figure out her career, friends, love life, and travel plans. The entire story is told through letters (something that turned me off the first time I picked up this book, but it completely and utterly works for this story) which alternate between being hilarious and poignant.

Anyway, if you haven't read it already, you place it on your "must read" list immediately! I actually "read" it by listening to it in audiobook form . . . If you are an audiobook fan, this is a particularly good one, and it might even be better to listen to it than read it.

For more information, visit the book's website:

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey/


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I have a whole month before I have to start classes for grad school again, so I plan to read as many books "for pleasure" as possible....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog entries. I still think you should write a book! Speaking of books, glad you finally read this one :-)

    ReplyDelete